It's December and my favorite time of the year because it is holiday baking time! Holiday cookies are the perfect gift for someone special and nothing says Christmas to me like the red jam filling and the white sugar topping of a linzer cookie. Emily G's Santa Jam is perfect for this holiday cookie with the pomegranate and citrus flavors. Pack these with an extra jar of Santa Jam in a holiday basket and it is a sure hit.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar (plus extra sugar for dusting)
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 vanilla bean split in half and beans scooped
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or half pastry flour and half bread flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Emily G's Santa Jam
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sugar, egg, and vanilla; mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt; and beat until completely mixed.
- Shape dough into 1” thick, round disk.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough in to ¼ inch thick and cut out an equal number of base and top linzer cookies.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes on cookie sheet before baking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cookies are slightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Once cool, put roughly 1 teaspoon of Santa Jam on the base cookie. Dust powder sugar over the top cookies.
- Sandwich the base and top cookie together. Pack for gifts or set under the Christmas tree for Santa!